Monday July 19th

Guided Reading | Ideas for teaching

Learning Intention: We are learning to connect and compare all aspects of texts within genres and across genres.

Success Criteria:

• SC1: I can make connections between this text and other similar texts that have been read or heard

• SC2: I can make connections between the text and other texts that have been read or heard and demonstrate in writing.

• SC3: I can connect and compare the fantasy genre and compare these to other genres.

• SC4: I can connect and compare all aspects of texts within and across genres.

Activity: 

Watch this video:

Whilst reading your fantasy group text, you are going to be making connections. Using the template (proforma) provided in your pack or linked below, you can make connections from text-to-self, text-to-text and text-to-world.

Click here to print:  Making Connections template

Our Spelling Sound:

Our sound of the week is short “u” vowel sound as in ‘but’, and revising the sound ‘oo’ as in book.  The sound /u/ can be represented by more than one spelling. /ie/ could be <u> <ou> <o> 

Choose 8 words from the list below to practice this week:
  • butterfly
  • touch
  • front
  • Monday
  • thumb
  • cousin
  • suddenly
  • youngest
  • brother
  • doubling
  • mothering
  • unlikeable  
  • tunneling
  • countries
  • smothering
  • encouragement 
  • underestimate
  • unaccompanied 

Revised words:’oo’ as in book

• booking
  • watchful
  • barefoot
  • couldn’t’ve
  • knighthood
  • would

Today’s task is to find the syllables and segments (sounds) in your words. Let’spractise this using our new structure. See below a video for this task.

Learning Intention: We are learning how to successfully plan and write a fantasy narrative. 

Success Criteria: 

1. I can plan interesting fantasy characters.

2. I can include fantasy elements in my plan.

3. I can include appearance, personality traits, actions and a picture of my character.

Click on this link to read more about Fantasy Characters

Complete the Character Profile templates provided in the pack or linked below. plan two characters for your fantasy narratiive: one for a hero/heroine character and one for the villain character. Be creative and add as much detail as you can.

Click here to print: Character Profile Worksheet

Work Sample:  Click here to view Character Profile (1)

Character Profile (2)

Practice your counting goal for 5 min.

Learning Intention: We are learning to recognise that the place value system can be extended to tenths, hundredths and thousandths.

Success criteria: I can:

• I can compare decimals and recognise which is larger, smaller or equal.
• I can use place value to numbers recognise numbers smaller than one.            • I can write tenths, hundredths and thousandths as fractions and decimals and explain my thinking.

Using your learnt knowledge from this week, complete the worksheet Decimals to 3 Decimal Places. (Reminder units is another word for ones in place value.)

Click here for worksheet: Decimals to 3 Decimal Places

(This worksheet is also in the pack you took home last week.)

Double Double Cross Place Value Game:

We played this game at the start of the week. We would like you to watch the video and play this with someone else. Can you please make sure you change the 6 digit number that you make to a number that is three decimal places. For example you can make the number 343.726

Under the Spotlight | Trailer - YouTube

There are a lot of different genres of music: Jazz, Rap, Hiphop, Country, Pop, Rock, Blues, Classical and Heavy Metal. We would like you to research an unfamiliar artist or band from one of the genres. Tell us 5 things you have learnt about the artist and genre of music!