Thursday August 12th

Learning Intention:

We are learning to evaluate authors’ use of fantasy plot.

Success Criteria:

I can describe the main features of the plot in my fantasy novel.

Activity:

Watch the clip about what a plot is and answer the following questions about the fantasy novel you have read all term. (We are expecting that you have finished the novel by now)

Question 8: What hooked you in at the start of the fantasy novel?
(Was there a sizzling start that made you want to keep reading?)

Question 9: Who is the main character and what is the main problem they are facing at the start?
(What is the pebble or the small problem that is causing the main character the first problems in the narrative?)

Question 10: Where is the story set and would you like to visit the setting? (Think about the way the place is described. What are the main features of the town or fantasy world? Is it somewhere you would visit? Why?)

Word building: Find the base word of your spelling words and add prefixes and suffixes to make new words.  For example, 

Learning Intention:

We are learning how to edit our work by removing the ‘Boring Bits’, correct and spelling, punctuation etc.

• Success Criteria:
  • I can edit my writing and cut out the ‘boring bits’.
  • I can improve the ‘show, but don’t tell’ parts of my narrative.
  • I can edit my writing and fix up spelling errors, missing punctuation & capital letters.
  • I can edit my own writing to be critical & reflective, to make sure it contains all the text-type and fantasy genre elements.
  •  I can edit my writing so that every sentence ‘makes sense’, and doesn’t have any missing words.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             It is very important that we edit our work properly.  First, we must edit our work using 3 easy steps. Please complete all 3 of the following steps before you ask an adult to help you.
  1. Editing for meaning: Did the writing make sense? Have I read my writing aloud? Sometimes your ears can tell you if a sentence isn’t quite right. Reading out loud can also help you realise if a sentence is missing a word, or needs extra words included.
  2. Editing for spelling & punctuation: Do any words ‘look’ different? Underline any words you need to check with a dictionary (or Google)Have you included all the full stops & capital letters?
  3.  Editing for text-type structure and fantasy elements: Have I included everything?

Check to see if you have included all steps in your narrative. Free Teacher Writing Resources | The Seven Steps

Use the rubric below to identify if you have missed any fantasy elements, or if you need to add or remove parts to your writing.

Fantasy Narrative Rubric:

Today we will have a BIG LIFE WebEx Metting at 10:15am. Please click on the link below to enter the meeting.

Big Life 4/5/6 WebEx 

or enter the following codes:

Meeting number:165 820 1522

Password: kind